Postdoctoral Fellowship in Data Curation/Data Curator
The Center for the Advancement of Data and Research in Economics (CADRE) at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City supports economic research activities across the Federal Reserve System and with external research partners. CADRE provides services for finding, organizing, and sharing information and research in three areas: technology, data curation and content curation, and support. CADRE is developing its data curation service as part of its mission to support, enhance and advance data or computationally intensive research in economics.
Job Summary: The Data Curator will play a vital role in establishing best practices for our data curation program, including the long-term preservation of and access to research data and derivative works. The Data Curator will work with researchers to document, store, identify, and disseminate research outputs. The Data Curator will also support broader research efforts through training, institutional repository maintenance and development, and as a liaison to technology and other System business areas.
- Leads curation activities and develops procedures, workflows and best practices for activities including assignment of identifiers for papers and data, and maintenance of archival information packages.
- Leads investigation of appropriate venues or technologies for archival storage and access, ensuring platform is appropriate for dissemination and adequately documented for discovery.
- Continues research and development in support of the data citation and linking database.
- Coordinates with relevant content providers.
- Interacts with business areas, technology providers and library staff across the System to lead and coordinate data archival and curation activities.
- Leads discussions with content providers and technology staff to ensure capabilities for long- term preservation of research data.
- Creates and provides training to researchers on data curation and archival-related resources and services.
- Serves in a leadership role on System and national groups related to data curation topics.
- PhD in a data-intensive research field (economics or other social science, business, finance, or technology).
- Expertise in supporting social science research including an understanding of issues related to data or computationally intensive research and scholarly publishing.
- Strong knowledge of issues and developments in institutional repositories.
- Strong awareness of both national and international trends and developments in research data curation and management as well as metadata standards and best practices in digital curation
- Strong knowledge of research infrastructure, tools, and standards for preservation, data formats and migration, discovery and access.
- Library or information school coursework or degree preferred.
- Curation and/or data archival experience. Some expertise in data storage technologies and curation or archival platform products.
Supervision and training
The Data Curator will exercise independent judgment, make decisions, resolve issues, and achieve results based on professional methods, training, business principles, and/or experience. The Data Curator will have responsibility for planning and performance with minimal guidance or assistance on a day-to-day basis.
The Bank is committed to investing in its employees and the Data Curator will be able to take advantage of many training and development opportunities both within the Bank and with external technical and academic training partners.
Salary and benefits
The Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City provides employees with competitive pay, a market- leading benefits package and great amenities. We recognize where you choose to work affects the quality of your life.