For Hosts and Prospective Hosts
CLIR Postdoctoral Fellowships in Academic Libraries for Humanists, Scientists, and Social Scientists are flexible within the program’s overall goals and guidelines and can be designed as best suits an institution’s individual needs. The one- to two-year positions are for recent Ph.D. graduates working in any discipline.
- Calendar and duration: Fellowships begin between June and September, 2019. Exceptions can be made in cases where institutions have particular needs demanding a different timeline. Fellowships may be one or two years. All new fellows must complete a one-week orientation seminar from July 28 – August 3, 2019 at Bryn Mawr College.
- Eligibility: Fellows must have completed the Ph.D. within the five years preceding the fellowship appointment. Host institutions may include any academic, independent, public, or government library, archive, or museum, or any partnership or consortium made up of the same, provided it has a demonstrable need of the fellow’s subject expertise to pursue a project or initiative commensurate with its mission.
- Selection of hosts: All potential hosts must submit a completed job description to Alice Bishop. There is no limit to the number of new Postdoctoral Fellowships in Academic Libraries awarded each year.
- Subject areas: Open to any specialty or domain in which the Ph.D. is the terminal degree.
- Salary: Open, although should be in keeping with positions requiring similar levels of expertise at the host institution.
- Funding: All salary and benefits for the fellow are paid by the host institution. In addition, the host pays CLIR an annual fee to cover each fellow’s education and training throughout the fellowship year. This fee includes travel, room, and board costs for required program meetings, including the introductory summer seminar and mid-year meeting, as well as regular online symposia and virtual inquiry groups.
- September 2018: Fellowship application period opens.
- Fall 2018: Position descriptions to be posted on CLIR’s website under “For Applicants.”
- January 4, 2019: Deadline for individual fellowship applications. Review of fellowship applications begins at CLIR.
- February 2019: Fellowship applications to be forwarded to all selected host institutions.
- June 1, 2019: Target deadline for all 2019 postdoctoral fellowship positions to be filled.
- July 28-August 3, 2019: Introductory seminar for all 2019 postdoctoral fellows at Bryn Mawr College.
Note: Inquiries and proposals to host future Postdoctoral Fellows in Academic Libraries are accepted year-round.