pub122. Libraries Designed for Learning
by Scott Bennett
(11/03, 89 pp. [print]; 175 pp. [Web])
$20 for print version
To what extent have recent library design projects been driven by an understanding of how students learn and how faculty teach? To find out, Yale Librarian Emeritus Scott Bennett conducted an extensive study of the motivations and planning methods for library renovation and construction projects undertaken between 1992 and 2001. His study entailed a Web-based survey of more than 380 institutions, and phone interviews with 31 library directors and chief academic officers. He concludes that while most of the projects are serving users well, they have rarely been informed by a systematic assessment of how students learn and faculty teach. The author suggests that planning based on such an assessment could equip the library to serve an even more vital function as a space for teaching and learning.
The report is intended for academic librarians who are responsible for library construction and renovation projects, and for campus academic officers who wish to engage substantively with the question of how library space can advance the core learning and teaching missions of their institutions.
This report has been produced in two editions. The complete unabridged edition is offered only in electronic form (PDF format, file size 4.3 MB).
The print version omits some of the lengthy tables, the interview transcripts, the letter inviting participation in the study, and phone interview procedures. These tables, transcripts, and other materials can, however, be obtained individually, in PDF format, by clicking on the links that follow. (Please note: all of these documents are included in the unabridged edition).
- Table 3b. Analysis by institutional type of responses to question 1 of the study survey (246 KB)
- Table 3c. Analysis by date of project completion of responses to question 1 of the study survey (185 KB)
- Table 4b. Analysis by institutional type of responses to questions 213 of the study survey (224 KB)
- Table 4c. Analysis by date of project completion of responses to question 213 of the study survey (202 KB)
- Summary of Qualitative Comments Made by Survey Respondents (119 KB)
- Phone Interview Summaries (366 KB)
- Letter to Library Directors Inviting their Participation in the Study (57 KB)
- Phone Interview Procedures for Library Directors (63 KB)
We use an independent online retailer to take online orders for us and ship publications directly to you. For further detail, please click here.