We respect your privacy.
Information That You Provide To Us
Most of the information that we collect about you is the information that you voluntary give to us.
- Registration information. You may use portions of the Site without registering, but you must register to participate in some features of the Site, such as community discussions at CLIR Connect. If you register, you will be asked to provide your email
address (which becomes your user name). You will be issued a temporary password, which should be changed once you access the Site.
- Profile information. To participate in the features of the Site that require registration, we ask that you maintain a profile. Your profile contains basic contact information drawn from CLIR’s database, including name, institutional affiliation, and
email address. You may add, delete, or change profile information, such as a photograph, mailing address, website address, facsimile number, biographical summary, education, job history, interests, certifications, honors and awards, professional
groups and associations, and social networks in which you participate. Once you register, you will be able to view, change, and delete profile information and elect whether to make it accessible through this Site.
You may view communities on the Site to which you have been given access rights; you may publish documents or make postings in these communities. However, you should not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission
of the copyright owner.
Information That We Automatically Collect or Generate About You
- Networks. Networks are groups of members that are automatically built based on the certifications, interests, job history and education that you have specified in your profile
Site. Some of the cookies that we use are permanent, or persistent, cookies. A persistent cookie remains on your hard drive for an extended period of time. Our persistent cookies will be retained until you fully log out of the Site. You can remove
during prior visits, so that you do not have to re-enter the same information repeatedly on the Site. We set a persistent cookie to store your passwords, so you do not have to enter it more than once. Persistent cookies also enable us to track
and target the interests of our users to enhance the experience on our site. We also use session cookies, which remain only for a short time after a single visit to the Site. If you reject cookies, you may still use the Site, but your ability
to use some areas of the Site may be limited. Cookies may also be used by third party content providers that can e accessed through the Site, such as newsfeeds, but we do not control these cookies or the manner in which they may be used. We recommend
How We Use Information About You
We use the information we collect from you in a variety of ways, including:
- Processing and verifying your registration and any subscriptions or enrollments that you choose while visiting the Site;
- Contacting you regarding the administration of your account, any services, features or functions you have enrolled in or registered to use, any activities you have participated in or have entered, any goods and/or services or products you have ordered
or any other transactions you have undertaken through the Site;
- Allowing you to participate in the areas and/or other features of the Site for which registration is required;
- Responding to your questions or other requests;
- Contacting you regarding your use of the Site, for informational purposes related to the Sites or, in our discretion, regarding changes to the Site’s policies;
- Improving the Sites or our services and for internal analytical and research purposes;
- Tailoring your experience on the Site and/or otherwise customizing what you see when you visit the Site;
- Saving your user name and other information so that you do not have to re-enter it each time you visit the Site;
- To maintain and administer the Site;
a variety of ways, including:
- Keeping count of your return visits to the Site or sites of our affiliates or marketing partners;
- Accumulating and reporting aggregate, statistical information in connection with the Site and user activity;
- Determining which features, web pages, products and services users like best to, among other things, help us operate the Site, enhance and improve our services and the Site and to display information that is relevant to your network and community
Through the Inbox feature on the Site, members of communities on the Site may contact you to invite you to become their contact, join a community, or send you a message. Notifications will be stored in your Inbox. These notifications may also be forwarded
to your external email address based on your selected preferences.
How We Share Information About You
Unless otherwise disclosed at the time we request information, we may share your information in the following ways:
- Service providers. We may share your personal information with third parties that provide services to us or perform functions on our behalf, such as companies that process credit card payments to complete transactions that you initiate on the Site.
Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the information we share with them and to use it only to provide the services or perform the functions for which we engage them.
- Business transitions. If we go through a business transition, such as a merger, reorganization, dissolution, or other corporate event involving all or a portion of our assets, your information may be among the assets transferred. Your information
- Legal and government disclosures. We may disclose the information we collect through this Site, when we believe that disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law, a court order or subpoena, or discovery request; to prevent or investigate a possible
How You May Access, Change or Delete Information About You
You may view information about you at any time by navigating the site and the features that you can control. You may view and amend your password and profile at the Profile page. You may delete any information from your profile and remain a registered
user, except for the required registration information (name, email address, and password). If you notify us that you wish to terminate your registration, all profile information that is specifically tied to your account (i.e., not including aggregate
information) will be deleted and no longer retained on our systems. Since we backup our data regularly, it may take up to three months for deleted account data to disappear from our systems. Notwithstanding the foregoing, messages that you post on interactive
portions of the Site cannot be deleted by terminating your registration. We reserve discretion to determine how long to make public messages and postings available through the Site. You may remove items that you post as documents or postings on the Site,
but items cannot be selectively revised once they are posted on the Site. Content that you make available to others may be stored and used outside of the Site, so you should consider this before making any information available to others. If you use a
bulletin board or chat room on the Site, you should be aware that any information you submit there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these forums, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the information
How to Make Choices About How Your Information Is Used and Disclosed
We provide a tool for choosing how you wish for us to use and disclose your information. You may set your privacy preferences at http://connect.clir.org/CLIR/MyProfile/Preferences/. Unless
you change your privacy preferences or submit a written request using the email or postal address provided below, you should assume that your profile information will be accessible through the Site to the entire CLIR community of authenticated users.
- You may instruct us to block access to your profile information by other authenticated users of the Site.
- You may instruct us to forward different types of Inbox notifications to the external email address that you provide.
- We assume that you wish to be included in our community rosters, but you may opt out so that you are not included in our directories and rosters.
Other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through the Site have their own privacy practices independent of ours, and we are not responsible or liable for their policies or actions relating to you information. Please contact those vendors
and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies.
Security of Your Information
The security of your personal information is important to us. While we take steps to protect your information, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. We cannot guarantee the security of any information
that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your passwords and other account information.
For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us page, or you can reach us by mail at:
CLIR Online Privacy 1707 L Street NW, Ste 650 Washington, DC 20036, USA
You may also reach us by telephone at 202-939-4754, or by email at ksmith at clir dot org.