For Recipients of Fellowships in Data Curation
The following pertains to all Postdoctoral Fellows in Data Curation for Sciences and Social Sciences, Software Curation, Energy Economics, Energy Social Science, African American and African Studies, and Latin American and Caribbean Studies.
Important Documents and Links
- Travel Policy (.pdf)
- Travel Expenses Reimbursement Form (for required program meetings; .xls)
Note: The link to the reporting form can be found on the Current Supervisors and Fellows page.
Research and Travel Stipends for Postdoctoral Fellows in Data Curation
During their two-year appointments, CLIR/DLF Postdoctoral Fellows in Data Curation receive $3,000 annual stipends for elective professional development expenses. The stipend is in addition to the reimbursement benefits for expenses related to attending required program meetings. All benefits are contingent upon each fellow’s continued employment at their host institution under the terms of their fellowship employment contract or appointment letter. Use of the stipend must support a fellow’s own professional and intellectual development related to research data curation, software curation, or the curation of other digital resources supporting academic research.
Fellows must sign an agreement acknowledging proper use of these funds before they can receive the stipend. Stipends will be sent directly to Fellows on or around September 1 each year. Fellows will report on how they spent their stipends in their semiannual reports or exit reports due in June. Any unexpended portion of the travel stipend must be returned to CLIR at the end of the fellowship.
Stipends will be sent directly to Fellows on or around September 1 each year.
Allowable professional development expenses include those related to research, education, training, and attending academic and professional conferences. Examples of allowable expenses include but are not limited to:
- professional memberships;
- books or journal subscriptions not available at the fellow’s institution;
- hardware or software not available at the fellow’s institution;
- workshop or training tuition or fees; or
- fellows’ travel essential for and directly related to research, education, training, or attending academic and professional conferences.
Before using their stipend for expenses that do not fall into one of the above categories, fellows should write Alice Bishop at email@example.com requesting confirmation that their proposed expense is allowable.
Research activities connected to the curation of research data or other digital resources supporting academic research may include but are not limited to:
- conducting needs assessments related to data curation practices and services or digital research support;
- comparing data curation or digital research needs and practices across domains, institutions, or national borders;
- developing best practices for data management or digital preservation plan development for grant-funded projects in particular domains;
- investigating and making recommendations for data collection, analysis, and preservation for specific initiatives or domains;
- assessing the effectiveness of data curation and/or digital research support services; or
- developing best practices for promoting the data-related or digital research support services of academic libraries to researchers.
Education or training activities connected to the curation of research data or other digital resources supporting academic research may include but are not limited to the study of:
- data management or digital humanities practices, applications and/or tools;
- methods, applications and/or tools for the computational analysis of research data or other digital content for research;
- digital preservation practices, applications and/or tools, including digital forensics; or
- researcher information behavior.
Travel- and Conference-related Expenses
Travel- and conference-related expenses must be in accordance with CLIR’s travel policy. Allowable travel expenses include conference fees and actual transportation, food, and lodging costs incurred on fellowship-related business.
Postdocs in the US
Postdocs in Canada and Overseas